With the strong financial support and favorable policies from Shenzhen government, Shenzhen Technology University (SZTU) aims to be a high degree university of applied sciences and technologies. The total campus area will be 150 hectares.
To meet the urgent demand from the advanced manufacturing industry locally and nationally, the future SZTU is obligated to produce talent with spirit of craftsmanship such as senior engineers and architects. SZTU aims to establish itself as an open and innovative international university with Chinese characteristic and global outlook.
By learning from the dual system of Germany, SZTU will implement a modern apprenticeship system in teaching. The university is geared to meet the demands of high-end manufacturing industry with the orientation of employment and entrepreneurship. It is based on enhancing the capacity of engineering, practice and innovation. SZTU will explore a new education mode of applied sciences by joining efforts between industries and universities, between production and teaching, between practice and learning.
In terms of talents training, SZTU is exploring a new mode of “university education +enterprise internship+engineering projects”. In accordance with the principle of producing talents in applied sciences with market orientation, SZTU will push the cooperation between industries and universities to a new height; put more focus on the assessment of practical capability and undergo small-sized teaching; promote the integration among teaching, learning and practical training; recruit students from diversified sources. SZTU will try to realize Five Connections: connection between specialty setup and industry needs, connection between curriculum setting and professional criteria, connection between teaching processing and production processing, connection between diploma and professional certificate, and connection between vocational education and lifelong study.
SZTU will recruit full-time and part-time teachers with excellent teaching qualification and rich practical experience, who will account for eighty percent of the whole teaching staff. Publishing of papers will not be the key criteria for assessment, but the ability to solve actual problems for enterprises, businesses and industries will be the main standards to appoint and promote teachers. Professional teachers are required to have at least six months’ practical experience in enterprises every five years.
SZTU sets up specialties and courses according to the needs of industrial chain and innovative chain. To meet the demand of pillar industry , strategic emerging industry and future industry in Shenzhen, the newly issued Shenzhen Action on Made in China 2025 defines eleven strategic key areas for the advanced manufacturing industry of Shenzhen (Digitalized Network Equipment, New-type Display, Integrated Circuit, New-type Components and parts, Robots, Precision Manufacturing Equipment, New Material, New Energy Automobile, Aeronautics and Space, Marine Engineering Equipments, Gene Engineering equipment), based on this, SZTU plans to set up six faculties in the first period: Advanced manufacturing technology, Internet and Big Data, Transport, New material and energy, Health sciences and Environmental engineering, and Creative Design.
SZTU will work hard to promote the cooperation between university and enterprises to a new width and height by the following means: conducting joint cultivation model; establishing integration centers of experiment, training and practice; employing technicians from enterprises as part-time professors. Industries and enterprises can take part in the whole process of the school management, specialty setup, curriculum setup, talent cultivation and assessment and valuation of staff members.
SZTU aims to establish itself as an international university and cooperation platform. SZTU is looking forward to conducting extensive cooperation with universities of applied science in Germany, Switzerland, United States, Japan, Netherlands and the world as a whole. The pattern of international cooperation can be as follows:
1. to develop Two campuses pattern by student exchange program and mutual credits conformation. The two sides can develop 2+2 or 3+1+2 joint programs.
2. to introduce the whole teaching system from cooperative university. To meet the demand from the manufacturing industry in Shenzhen and Pearl River Delta of China, we would like to introduce to Shenzhen Technology University the ways of school administrative mechanism, professional settings, curriculum system and practice training from cooperative universities.
3. to establish education and training base. Both sides agree to establish vocational education training centers, providing international qualification certification and training in Shenzhen, and develop training programs for teaching and management staff.
4. to establish of collaborative innovation lab. Both sides agree to establish collaborative innovation lab, carrying out industry-oriented research programs and developing new methods in joint efforts in education between industries and universities, in order to enhance education in engineering force, creativity and academic capability and to promote the project achievement transformation.
5. to fund students to study or practice in cooperative universities or enterprises aboard; to produce top-notch talents of applied science with global outlook and international view.
More possibilities of cooperation are greatly welcomed.